Whether you are leaving your childhood home, going off to university, taking the step to cohabit with a partner or simply trading up for a nicer flat or more convenient location, moving is one of the most stressful times in an individuals life, but you can relieve the stress by following some simple steps.
Here are 10 smart moving tips to help you pack when moving out:
1. Put things in categories keep, though-out, donate. Get rid of clutter, you do not want to be paying movers to transport useless items. Sift through clothes and shoes you have accumulated over the years and think to yourself do I need this? Repeat the process with kitchenware, bed linen and furniture. Make bags and boxes for charity. If you have valuable / designer items that may sell online, flog and use the proceeds towards decorating your new adobe.
2. Estimate how many boxes, how much tape, bubble-wrap and other packing materials you will need and purchases these well in advance to avoid last minute sprints to the shops.
3. The last thing you want is to have to worry about everything arriving at your new house. If you have contents insurance, inquire about weather belongings that are lost, broken or stolen during the move will be covered. If not see is you can change you policy.
4. Before you start filling your boxes prepare an overnight bag for each family member making sure you have included everything each person needs, clothes, toiletries and any daily medications.
5. Pack essentials separately for the first night in your new home. So as to have Instant access to water, coffee & tea, any baby items such as nappies formula and a kettle.
6. Store important documents together in plastic covers and then in a waterproof box (birth and marriage certificates, university degrees & transcripts) Bundle P45, P60’s, payslips and other important documentation all in one place.
7. Use the right size boxes, put linen & pillows in larger boxes and store paperwork and books in smaller ones so they are easier to carry. Put heavier items on the bottoms of boxes, lighter items on top. Don’t leave huge gaps in the boxes, this is how things get broken. Fill in spaces with towels, bubble wrap or paper. Often movers will not transport boxes that are loosely packed, too heavy or unbalanced. Make sure that each box is clearly labeled with a list of contents as well as the room it is destined for. Do not put things meant for different rooms in the same box.
8. Before packing breakables ask your movers about special crating and clearly mark the packaging with the word fragile to avoid and mishaps. Also consider items that need special treatment like plasma TV’s. If you do not have the original box you will have to pack and label very carefully as plasma TV’s can be ruined if you lay them flat or god forbid they end up at the bottom of a heavy pile.
9. Do not wrap valuables or whites with newspaper and it leaves horrendous marks that may be difficult to get rid of.
10. Last but not least, budget your time. Depending on the size of the move and the distance you are moving you will need time to prepare yourself as well as your belongings, as well as to come to terms with the change and spend time with people that may not be as accessible after you have moved. For a family home allow at least 8 weeks to plan and orchestrate a move. A student moving into halls should start to plan at least 2 weeks in advance. Happy packing!